easter

Sunday, March 4, 2012

A LONG post, but a lot happened this week!

I come from a long line of worry warts. I remember fondly when my Gram was alive, there were several occasions where she would ask, "now, what was I worried about? I know I was worried about something, but I can't remember." I would laugh and tell her that if she couldn't even remember, then it probably wasn't worth worrying about in the first place.
I feel sort of like that. And I have been trying to take my own advice. Brian feels so good right now and has recovered so well from surgery, that its hard for me to remember sometimes what we are facing. I am so thankful for his continued improvement and this respite he has before the commencement of treatment. Its good for our souls.

As difficult as this trial seems, I know that we must find, and cling to, those moments of grace that I know are there for us to take advantage of. This week, that was easy.

We have still been receiving cards in the mail and we look forward to them each day. This week we also received two packages! One was from an old Virginia Beach friend of Brian's. Adrianne and Jared Blake sent us two boxes of dipped fruit from edible arrangements. YUM! She sent strawberries and bananas which we could barely wait to try. Delish and a fun and unexpected dessert.

Brian's Grandma and Grandpa Johnson also sent us a box. They included some really good New Mexico Salsa, and some fun T-shirts. One is from Roswell and has an alien on it. Its Brian's size, but I already stole it ;) And then they sent each of us a T-shirt form our favorite restaurant to visit out there called La Posta. If you are ever in Mesilla, outside of Las Cruces, I can highly recommend La Posta.

On Wednesday, Brian's big surprise came. He has been eyeing digital pianos for months now. He has wanted a piano for years, ever since his Kermit the Frog keyboard when he was six. He never took lessons, but he can just amazingly play by ear. I'm always impressed, but of course he downplays everything and says its easy. When all of this happened, my mom and dad decided to get one for him! I originally said no way because I know Brian is not good at gift receiving. He is, and always has been a giver and fixer, not an asker or a taker so its difficult for him. But if you know my mom, then you will know that me telling her not to do this was like me telling her to go kick a puppy. It just isn't happening. She insisted that when we were looking at houses a couple of months ago, she decided to get us one as a housewarming gift, and now since our house hunt is indefinitely on hold and Brian has LOADS of time on his hands, she decided to give it to him to help combat the boredom he is dealing with.

I told him it was coming on Tuesday night so he could get over the gift-receivers remorse that he most definitely felt. By the time it came Wednesday, he was pretty excited. He plays so well still even though he thinks he is terribly out of practice. He enjoys it so much and I am so grateful to my mom and dad for doing this for us. I know that he will continue to get enjoyment out of it in the challenging days and months ahead.

Thursday, we decided to make a spontaneous trip to Chicago. The Field Museum was having a free day and Brian wanted to get out of the house. I did the driving since Brian can't yet, and that was an adventure in and of itself. Brian said I did well, but I am a nervous driver. I don't know how you can be calm in that traffic. We also splurged on dinner and ate at Fogo de Chao which Brian and I affectionately call, Meat Heaven. Its a churrascaria which is a Brazilian steakhouse. We wanted to try it since we went to Texas de Brazil last time. They were very similar, but Fogo de Chao has Guarana Antarctica, which Brian insists is the better brand of his favorite Brazilian soda, so that tipped the scale as far as he was concerned. I wanted to get pictures there, but our lust for protein over took us so much that I forgot!

Friday I had school, but Saturday we met up with my family and ate at Famous Daves and then saw This Means War. It was cute and it was good to get out of the house. We had a blast with my fam, and then they came over to see Jack and Brian's piano.

Brian sweetly said the highlight of his week was the oatmeal bread I made for him. I just find it comical that most of the joys in our life and our marriage revolve around the food we share. I don't know if that's good or bad.

Anyway, like usual, I didn't take enough pictures in Chicago, but here are a few of the highlights from our week. I didn't get one of the piano yet, but I want a good one of Brian with it before I post.

This week, we see the oncologist on Friday. I am nervous, but really ready to get some more information.

Thank you for reading, and for your continued love and prayers.


Jack helping me study. He has really been my buddy.

Brian and I at the dinosaur exhibit at the museum. Our favorite of course!

Me with a Parasaurolophus.

Brian's card table!

Jack being a baby.

Brian and I about to disrespect some fried fish!

Me with my sister who keeps me well stocked with Cadbury eggs and Chewy Spree in times of need!

8 comments:

  1. if this isn't grace, i don't know what is! you have a gift for appreciating the good in life :) love to you both

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you had a good week. We enjoyed spending part of Saturday with you. Soooo impressed by Brian's piano playing! WOW! I could listen to him all day. He has an amazing talent! Hope you have a great day. Love you lots. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Rachel! Love back to you!!

    And mom! Sign up for an account! Thank you for everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to sign up for an account and guess what? I couldn't figure it out. Imagine that! So until Alissa can help me do it, I guess I'll have to be "anonymous". Love you. Have a good day!

      Delete
  4. Just wanted to let you know I'm still thinking about you guys and checking in on the blog! Glad you've had some time to chill and enjoy each other's company. Best of luck with your appointment Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are amazing, Lindsey and Brian. Thank you for your blog. What a perfect gift from your parents to help you both through this time. I keep you in my prayers,
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lindsey, you are such an inspiration to me. I love your positive look on life despite what life brings you and Brian. You both are in my prayers.
    Love,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete