easter

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Welcome Spring!

My very favorite time of year is autumn. It always has been. I love the colors and the smells and the way the sunlight looks just a little different from the rest of the year. It has a sort of warmish amber glow as it filters through the red, orange, and yellow leaves which is different from the crystalline starkness that it has in the winter, or the mellow haziness of summer. I can't, however, escape the melancholy I always feel as the leaves fall and the season draws to a close.

This year has been a little different. I am loving spring more than I ever have. Maybe its because I have been thinking a lot about hope and faith lately. Spring is full of hope. Full of new beginnings. My favorite sign of spring comes when the lovely birds burst into song and break the quiet stillness of winter. I always hear people complain about the noise they make so early in the morning, but I can't wait for those first few weeks when you really appreciate and notice their sounds before they become routine for the summer.

I haven't posted in awhile. I meant to, but we have just been outside almost everyday trying to soak up this gorgeous weather and enjoy ourselves. So here is a little update.

My sister had a birthday on March 15th. My mom and dad both had to work so Brian, Alissa, Jake, and I went to starved rock and had a really nice hike. I was afraid Brian would be really tired because he had been the previous few days, but he had a burst of energy we attributed to the great weather, and actually, Liss and Jake got tired before us! We had mexican for lunch and were underwhelmed. I think we were there at an off time because the service was stinky, but then we bargain hunted at Big Lots and came home and hung out for a little bit.

Saturday, we went up and had a cookout at my parents house with my cousin Andre, and our good friend Joe. That was fun. My mom made her macaroni salad and my dad's burgers were great so I was in Heaven.

We have been taking Jack for walks everyday. Sometimes two. He loves it. And our sweet lady next door Dorothy gave us a bouquet of beautiful sunny yellow daffodils! I tried and tried to get a picture of them, but it just paled in comparison to real life so much that I couldn't bear to post it.

Midterms were this week at school. With the time I missed and the studying I did NOT do last month, my anatomy grade is now a high C. I can definitely bring it back up to at least a B though. And I was accepted into ICC's nursing program! I almost forgot about that. For the sake of finance and continuity, I decided to just finish up my RN there. Then I can work on a bridge program for my BSN hopefully at OSF. I only have eight classes left and I am anxious to get that part of school done.

On Thursday, we met my mom for lunch. It was nice to see her a little extra this week. Thursday and Friday both felt like Saturdays to me. Brian and I went to Famous Daves last night for fish. We didn't plan on it, it just kind of happened and I don't regret it. Tonight, our first real Saturday of the week, we are making Rick Bayless at home and watching Star Wars. All we have been doing is watching sci-fi all week and I love it.

The oatmeal bread I just baked has been tried and approved by Brian. I love baking bread. I love the whole process of making it from scratch. It feels good. You just start with these plain raw ingredients and then combine them just the right way, and then you have to really knead it. It is tough and it takes time to get to the right consistency. Then you have to be very patient and wait and wait while it rises. Then let it rest, then shape it into a loaf and wait some more while it rises again. Its such a painstaking process and when it turns out well its just so rewarding. And I love Brian's reaction. He was almost incredulous the first time I made it for him. I make it often, but each time he responds with the same joy. He loves it. I love what I am coming to recognize as the "hot bread smile." I wait for it and I am never disappointed. There is a parallel to life in there somewhere. But this entry is long enough.

Some pictures from the last couple weeks.


Birthday Duck Face


Lissa in her new sunglasses (birthday present from me!)

Jack friend.

At this moment we were getting ready to leave. He was devastated.

Today's oatmeal bread. You can get a peek of Dorothy's daffodils next to Franz in the background :)

Freshly baked, sliced and enjoyed!


Enjoy the weather everyone and don't forget to look up! Its better than looking down.

Love,
Lindsey

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the nursing school acceptance, that is wonderful!!! And your bread looks yummy! Although, I have to ask: How'd Rick Bayless taste for dinner? ;) And in other news, I had a sweet dream about Joe last night. Ah, swoon! Hugs and love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your post Lindsey! Congrats on the nursing program! Hey as long as your getting the degree it doesn't matter where it is from ;) enjoy this weather! It's so refreshing and makes a person feel good!

    ReplyDelete